St. James Township Campground to Start Renovations in the Spring The St. James Township Campground, located just off Donegal Bay Road on Beaver Island, will begin a major renovation and addition of facilities this Spring. Currently the campground is for rustic camping only with a policy of “first come first served’; has three pit toilets; and a manual water pump which services 10 lovely rustic camp sites on a bluff overlooking Lake Michigan.
Each site has a picnic table and fire ring. In March, bids will go out for the addition and development of a full-service bath house with flush toilets, sinks and showers for both men and women. Six of the campsites will be upgraded to electric. While the rest of the camp sites will remain rustic, there are future plans to expand the number of rustic campsites to include a group gathering site which can house multiple tents and campers. The campground will be renovated with the plan ...Click below to read more...
The Clarke Historical Library, a part of Central Michigan University, is pleased to announce that over the next few months The Beaver Beacon, published between 1955 and 1958, will be digitized and made freely available online.
The Beaver Beacon was begun in 1955 by the Beaver Island Civic Association. Individuals who paid for a membership in the Civic Association received the newsletter. Each issue was filled with the news of the Island happenings, contact information for servicemen and women, weddings, births, deaths, birthday and anniversary celebrations and school events. It was run as a public service more so than profit-making venture.